Portsea rescue mobile 2 is a 2010 Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 DI-D.
This is a very versatile vehicle and caters for our needs specifically for operations in the club, with the primary focus of towing our rescue boat, Portsea Rescue 1.
Capable of seating 7 crew in comfort, excellent off-road capability alongside a 3500KG tow limit, this vehicle really does tick all the boxes.
We purchased this vehicle second hand in 2013 to replace our old Toyota Hilux that had become uneconomical and served as our only vehicle between 2013 and 2019.
Now she still operates but alongside our newer vehicle Portsea Rescue Mobile 1.
This Shogun was purchased as a standard vehicle from Lookers prestige in Portslade for £18,500 in 2012.
We then had the vehicle converted with accessories added onto it to suit the demands of our club, which cost in the region of £1,5000.
A winch was bespoke fitted to the front chassis, rescue lights and PA fitted, we fitted more off-road bias tyres to allow it to be more capable on the shingle and finally added our club livery to it.
Portsea Rescue Mobile carries a first responder bag, Oxygen administration and a defibrillator at all times.
A stretcher is also carried alongside vehicle recovery kit so we are prepared for most things that should arise.
The seats can also be collapsed to allow for a stretcher with a casualty to be recovered off road and brought up to a road ambulance. It also provides sheltered first aid or lifesaving actions.
Drivers and crew
- Obviously, it goes without saying, that our drivers are all required to have a full driving licence.
- On top of this, they must have completed an in-house training session and passed the assessment so we are confident in the driver’s ability.
- They must also be added to the club insurance, usually this means they have to be 25years old or over and declare any driving offences.
- When towing our rescue boat, drivers must have a B+E category on their driving licence and pass an additional assessment with the club and continuous training.
- Portsea rescue mobile 2 is capable of carrying upto 7 passengers with the use of rear seats but normally operates with a maximum of 5.
Costs and maintenance
- To replace mobile 2 new would cost around 70,000. (Mitsubishi no longer sell this vehicle in the UK so another vehicle make/model would have to be sourced).
- The annual maintenance costs are around £1,000.
- Running costs are £3,000.
Unfortunately, our HQ boathouse is not big enough to house our vehicles, so it is kept at our storage facility at Fort Cumberland alongside our rescue boat.
Here we have 2 large polytunnels to house some of our larger assets, maintaining a safe and secure place free from the adverse weather conditions.
This means that Portsea Rescue Mobile is always ready to deploy alongside our rescue boat.
- Manufactured by Mitsubishi in Japan.
- 5-door wagon body type.
- 4×4 full-time (SS4-II super select all-wheel drive permanent with centre planetary differential.
- 33/67 torque split, up to 50/50 (via viscous coupling unit).
- Rear wheel drive mode.
- Lock mode.
- 1.90/1 transfer case.
- 5 speed automatic gearbox.
- Diesel fuel engine with displacement: 3200 cm3 / 195.3 cui.
- Advertised power: 147 KW / 197 HP / 200 PS (ECE).
- Torque: 441 Hm/ 325 lb-ft.
- Characteristic dimensions: outside length: 4385 MM / 172.6 in, width: 1875 MM / 73.8 in, wheelbase: 2545 MM / 100.2 in.
- Reference weight: base curb weight: 2095 KG / 4618 lbs, gross weight GVWR: 2665 KG / 5875 lbs.
- Top speed: 180 KM/H (112 MPH) (declared by factory).
- Acceleration: 0-60MPH 9.2© s.
That’s why your donation is crucial in Keeping us operational and saving lives we thank you.